I was up on schedule this morning and on the road by 06.00. I was planning on putting in a big day to Walden, about 100 miles away, but the weather wasn’t co-operative. Despite this morning being mainly downhill, it took me five hours to go 40 miles to Kremmling due to the wind. It was being funneled up the valley, with gusts of around 60mph – there were times when I was close to being blown off the road.
Throughout the morning storm clouds had been building on the horizon with increasing menace. I had just reached the outskirts of Kremmling when a police car pulled up to me and the officer inside ‘strongly advised’ me to get inside. Sure enough as soon as I was ensconced inside a cafe it began to snow, which was whipped into a blizzard by the wind. I decided to call it a day at that stage, and checked into a motel.
I have spent the rest of the day letting the weather pass, and enjoying being warm – by the time I stopped I was like a human icicle! There are 4 feet of snow forcast overnight, so I don’t know if I’ll be able to get out tomorrow – but the weather channel has been wrong before! It’s annoying to be stopped by bad weather, but I’ve had good weather so far – so I can’t complain.